Monday, July 14, 2008

America outsources even its mediocrity

When I was in Rome, and felt nation-sick, I inaugurated America Day (to be held each June 28 hence) by going to the store and buying Pringles, Snickers, Coke, and a Budweiser. It was glorious, and I felt proud. And I'm glad I did it then, because Anheuser-Busch, that shining emblem of Americana, is being sold to the Belgians. I'm sad. Maybe even outraged. Next year I'll have to use Miller, or something. Is nothing sacred? Will the French buy back the Statue of Liberty? Will Ford move to Mexico? Will Arnold Schwarzenegger get to be President? These are sad times, my fellow Americans.
I'm not really opposed to these kinds of sales. Free markets often to work out in everybody's favor. But Budweiser really is an American icon, and whether or not you approve of the drinking culture of our great nation, you really have to be sad to see it go. Obviously they'll still serve it. Obviously it will still taste gloriously bland. But it won't be the same.

2 comments:

Nicola Karras said...

Are you kidding? The idea of being able to get Belgian beer for the price of a Bud...

Of course the beer itself won't change, which is the worst part of this.

Adam Stempel said...

Nikki, why do you hate America?