Friday, March 7, 2008

Lo, for I am the Shepherd... and You are the Sheep

Yaron Brook came to the Yale Political Union last night to debate "Resolved: Your Poverty is Your Problem." I voted in the neg, and the resolution failed (coincidence?), but the debate allowed me to look at Objectivism with new concerns.

The classic objection to Ayn Rand's philosophy is that it's cold-hearted and that it takes the human element (relationships, community, empathy, etc.) out of life. A community of egoists might be rational and meritocratic, but if we don't feel beholden to people we can't meaningfully interact with them in any way that might improve our solitary and poor lives.
In the (approximate) words of Dr. Brook, "my life is my life, your life is your life." If we all think only of ourselves, everything turns out dandy. Those with important skills go to the top, and those who don't "think" enough drop out of the race.
I'm tempted to say that this kind of Objectivism doesn't go far enough. Sure, if you're smart, acting in your own self-interest is an effective way to live, but why respect others' right to do the same? If life is good when I act in my own self-interest, wouldn't it be much better if everybody acted in my self-interest?

Premise 1: I know how to live my own life well (if I didn't, then Objectivism wouldn't work in the first place, which is possible).
Premise 2: My only obligation is to myself (I don't have children).
Premise 3: Most people are sheep (this has been shown by history).
Conclusion: It makes perfect sense for me to bend others to my will, and have them help me life the good life.

Not by violent means, of course. Dr. Brook doesn't like violence, and I agree with him. He also thinks that violence is the only means of coercion, and I'll go with him on that, even though I've got a decent inkling that it's not true. But if I can convince people that they should do things which may or may not benefit me (they do; shhhh...), what possible obstacle could there be to mentally exploiting millions and millions of people, provided nothing terrible happens to them as a direct result?

After all, nothing matters in the long run and we're all going to die.

Cheers.

1 comment:

David said...

I would respond briefly only by saying that having others help you live the good life aligns with helping them live a good life themselves stunningly often. This is true with health care, education, and nearly everything else.